Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pork and Chive Pot Stickers

I made these the other night and was impressed how quickly I was able to make almost 100 wontons. We only had a few for dinner and I have the rest in the freezer and plan to make wonton soup sometime next week.


Pork and Chive Pot Stickers
Ingredients:
1/4 lb ground pork
1 Tbsp minced chives
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp cornstarch
20 wonton wrappers
1 Tbsp vegetable oil for frying

Directions:
In a bowl, combine pork, chives, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon water. Place a heaping teaspoon of pork mixture in center of a wonton wrapper. Lightly wet edge of wrapper, fold over, and press to seal. Repeat to form remaining dumplings (makes 20). In two batches, cook dumplings in a large pot of boiling water until cooked through, 4 minutes; transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. In a large nonstick pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high. In two batches, cook until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Serve with dipping sauce.

Freeze raw dumplings on a baking sheet, then store in bags, up to 3 months. Cook from frozen.

Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Ingredients:
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp sesame oil

In a bowl, stir together soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sugar, and sesame oil.

Helpful Tip: To always have fresh ginger on hand - peel your unused ginger, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the freezer. Then when you need it simply take it out of the freezer and chop (from frozen) the amount you need. I like to have my ginger really fine so I use the very fine side of my cheese grater to give me the amount I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment